To file a nil return is the easiest thing to do, all you need is your copy of the KRA PIN number and an account on KRA’s iTax website.
1. First, click on www.itax.kra.go.ke and log in.
2. Put in your user ID or KRA Pin. After you insert the KRA Pin, click on the continue button below it.
3. An empty tab will appear where you will input your password and then proceed to do simple arithmetic (known as the Security stamp) below that and click enter.
4. Once you have accessed the website, you will see a red menu bar. On it click the ‘Returns’ icon and a drop-down will appear; select the File Nil Returns Option.
5. Select the Tax obligation, either Income Tax – Resident Individual or Income Tax – Non Resident Individual, then proceed to Next.
6. Select the period. For 2021 FY, the period is from 01/01/2020 to 31/12/2020. Then submit and confirm.
7. If the process is successful, an e-return acknowledgment receipt will appear. Click download the receipt and you will be all done. You can print and file it for future reference. Also another receipt is always sent to your email, the one you registered with for the KRA Certificate.